Friday, November 13, 2020

Topeka Place/Street Names

McEachron ELementary School was named after Mrs. D.L. McEachron. She served on the Board of Education from 1919 to 1938, and was the longest running board member. (her husband was a professor and dean of the college)
Rev. Peter MacVicar was the second president of Washburn University.
Dr. Norman Plass became President of Washburn in 1902 after Rev. MacVicar.
Harvey Rice was one of the members of Washburn's first board of Trustees.
John and Joab Mulvane were bankers and on the executive board of Washburn.
CB Van Horn was on the Board of Education in 1912
WE Atchison was on the Board of Education in 1912

Early Topeka Education TImeline

1855--First school at No. 32 Madison Street;  Miss Sarah Harlan was the first teacher, with Miss Jennie Allen and Miss Carrie Whiting teaching brief periods.

1856--Miss Allen teaches school in Constitution Hall (ousted so the legislature can meet there)

 1857 --New England Emigrant Aid Company builds school for $200 at SW corner of 5th and Harrison; schools supported by voluntary contributions although anyone could attend

1862--School tax levied

1864--Baptist Hall at No. 191 Kansas Avenue is rented for school

1865--S 6th between Kans as and Quincy is rented as a school for black children

        --2 room school at 6th and Harrison

1866--White children take over 1st floor of 6th street school and black children are moved to the attic

1867--Schools overflowing, classes held in Gale's Block and in the basement of a building on SW 7th and Kansas

    --North Topeka (Eugene) opens first school at 128 N Kansas Ave.

    --Topeka Board of Education organized

    --School session was 36 weeks;9 teachers; 695 students (KS census lists 710 children both black and white of school age)

    --No. 232 Kansas Ave, formerly a black church; was rented as a school for black children

1868--Emigrant Aid Company's school building is sold and rooms are rented at No. 241 Kansas Ave. 

    --Evening schools opened, one in Harrison and black school; session lasted 5 weeks

    --WH Butterfield superinedent

    --Lincoln School built at No.50-54 Monroe Street for a cost of $55,000

    --School built at 13th and Quincy

1869--2nd Annual Report from the Board of Education defines the school year as 9 months with 180 days including some holidays.  

1887-88--Individual student records 

1893--- A model High School building was constructed in 1893 on the northwest corner of Harrison street and Eighth avenue, at a cost of $85,000

1904-- Manual Training School was completed on the southwest corner of the same streets, at a cost of $100,000

1905--Other schools listed in King's History

     --Sisters of Charity  School at No. 723 Jackson street

    --German Catholic Church School at 3rd and Van Buren

     -- Studio of Voice Culture and Piano Instruction, No. 816 Kansas avenue

    -- Dougherty's Shorthand School, No. 118 West Eighth avenue

    -- Standard School of Shorthand and Typewriting, No. 63o Kansas avenue

    -- Topeka Business College, No. 523 Quincy street

    -- Pond's Business College, No. 521 Kansas 

    -- Homeopathic Night School, No. 704 Kansas avenue, Dr. Eva Harding, president

   --Art Studio, 630 Kansas

     --School of Dramatic Art, 816 Kansas     

    --Music Studio, 109 W 6th 

    --School of Pianoforte Playing, 722 Kansas Ave.  

    --Violin Studio, No. 704 Kansas avenue   

    --Reid-Stone School of Art, No. 501 Jackson street,      


 1907--Topeka Grade Teachers' Club formed in secret as it was thought that Board of Education would not approve

 1910--Principals Club organized by LD Whittemore, Superintendent

1911--Teachers who have taught 30 years or more in a first-class city are granted a $500/yr pension . The pension was to be paid by contributions or assessments paid by teachers and appropriation by the Board of Education at a fixed ratio set by law.  This was part of the work of the Topeka Grade Teacher's Club.

1912--Parent Teacher Organizations began in elementary schools

1915--Topeka High School Guild formed (for THS teachers)

1927--Roosevelt Junior High opens at 200 Quincy (on the site of the old Nickel Plate elementary school)

1931--Topeka Teacher's Association organized--provided teachers with insurance and established the Teacher's Credit Union in 1939

1941--Topeka High School Teachers Guild was changed to the High School Teachers' Guild 

1952--Topeka Grade Teachers Club is formed